BfX and quickoffice

Started by mman, February 12, 2012, 08:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mman

Is it possible to get BfX plugin to work with quickoffice which is included in nokia symbian mobile phones? This would make it easy ballistics calculator for range applications.

admin

I have looked to port BfX to windows mobile and concluded that the Excel running on it was not able to run the BfX.xll.

How much work Quick Office is I do not know. In BfX the physics part is relatively small, the integration with Excel makes it special. This integration software has to be redone.

My pet project, for which I do not have time, would be the 6DOF. Another one would be controlling the crosshairs of a telescopic sight via a computer in the sight - even compensating for the small movements of the shooter

mman

Quote from: admin on February 14, 2012, 02:00:17 AM
Another one would be controlling the crosshairs of a telescopic sight via a computer in the sight - even compensating for the small movements of the shooter
Interesting project.. Have you presented your idea for some optics manufacturer or would you modify aftermarket scope? Or is it the base that you would modify? I can't see how you could compensate shooter errors just by changing scope adjustments..?

admin

movements: e.g. connect piezo actuators to the barrel

elevation & windage: one could connect a step motor to the turrets, program a cross on a telescopic tv screen ...

ThunderDownUnder

Robert in relation to your auto scope adjustment idea, I dont really understand just what you would like to achieve.

If you were to have a number of input sensors such as a laser range finder, wind anemometer and direction finder. I could see how you could then drive the scope turrets for auto elevation and windage adjustment. The barrel would require a sensor attached for positional changes to provide a compass bearing and angle of inclination for the wind vector and elevation to be established.

These inputs could be fed back to a micro-controller for processing the inputs and driving the turret motors. The system would need initialising with the bearing and coordinates to the target and I guess this could be established by pressing a button when the cross hairs are aligned on the target.

Is this what you would like to do?

Happy new year Robert, its good to see your just as interested as ever in all things that have a trajectory that requires to be calculated!

Ian

admin

Ian, Yes it would sets the turrets for windage and drop compensation. The piezo elements should compensate the small drifts of the shooter himself at the moment the shot breaks - either by measuring accelerations of the rifle or by image recognition of the target.

However, I certainly do not have the time for such a project. Furthermore, I am in match shooting and regard this a bit over the top.

Rober