Newbie problems installing

Started by 72stick, March 03, 2012, 10:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72stick

I used the installer on my Windows 7, Excel 2010 32bit version. I can't get BfX into the options for add-ins?  Tried reinstalling and it still doesn't show up in the add-ins list? I tried opening a spreadsheet but the formulas create an error message in the cell.

Any idea what I need to do next?

Thanks,
Brian

admin

Brian,

well no. There are no known issues. To check, I have just installed the 32 bit version bfx.xll on windows 7. Furthermore I presume that you follow the instructions on the website. However installing BfX boils down to:

You have to extract the files from the .zip
double click bfxsetup.msi
open excel.
click the file tab
click options
click add-ins
select manage excel addins (default) and then click go
browse to bfx.xll

then Excel will load bfx.xll

ThunderDownUnder

Quote from: 72stick on March 03, 2012, 10:58:52 PM
I used the installer on my Windows 7, Excel 2010 32bit version. I can't get BfX into the options for add-ins?  Tried reinstalling and it still doesn't show up in the add-ins list? I tried opening a spreadsheet but the formulas create an error message in the cell.

Any idea what I need to do next?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian,
Avira antivirus prevents me from using the setup method of auto install even with Avira disabled. I found it easier to just copy the BfX add-in to the Office directory which in my case was library/. If unsure where the add-ins are stored just use Excel add-in manager to include Solver and then search for the add-in in the program files directory. Dont give up as it is pretty easy to use just seems some people struggle to get it installed.

Ian

DTV Student

Hi Folks,

I have an ancient, 10 year old, laptop, running Windows XP and Office Suite 2003.  I recently discovered the BfX website and decided to download the BfX addin for Excel.  I first tried the automatic installation which seemed to work until I tried to select BfX.xll for an addin from the "C:\Program Files\BfX Excel AddIns" directory.  BfX.xll was there.  When I tried to load it, I got an error message... something about not being a valid addin.  Ouch!!!

After trying to install it 2 or 3 more times and getting the same error message, I looked around the website and found another way to just download BfX.xll for Excel 2003.  I downloaded this BfX.xll and moved it to the same directory as above.  This BfX.xll had a much more recent date than the previous BfX.xll and it worked!!!

After reading through most of the "Getting Started.XLS" tabs, I very quickly was able to construct a trajectory table and chart for my 55 year old squirrel rifle, a Marlin Model 80, using a ballistic coefficient of 0.12 with the RA4 drag function.  I was amazed.  For several hours daily during July and August, I researched and wrote my own version of an Excel ballistics calculator.  It works, but my efforts writing a quickly converging solution for the angle of departure which including air drag leaves a lot to be desired.  It is very slow and requires many iterations.  LOL !!!

The BfX.xll is much, much, much faster and offers more drag functions.  Fantastic !!!

Thank you so very much for all your hard work !!!

Bravo !!!

DTV Student

admin

Thanks for the compliments,

Fine that you managed to install. I certainly wouldn't be able to help you with XP and Office 2003 anymore.

Robert