Downloaders, Feedback please!

Started by admin, May 15, 2010, 11:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Dear Downloaders,

give me some feedback. Does the installation work? Why is the iron sight settings downloadable so popular?

david

Quote from: admin on May 15, 2010, 11:43:11 PM
Dear Downloaders,

downloaded software and workbooks I think OK, but struggling to get an understanding of this material despite being mathemtical type and spread sheet user.
sure I will crack it soon.

admin

oops, due to wrong links on the download page the iron sight calculations were popular .... ;D

admin

Quote from: david on May 31, 2010, 08:37:39 PM
Quote from: admin on May 15, 2010, 11:43:11 PM
Dear Downloaders,

downloaded software and workbooks I think OK, but struggling to get an understanding of this material despite being mathemtical type and spread sheet user.
sure I will crack it soon.

David, what do you want to do?

highwall

I used the automatic installer for my Office 2010x64. Perfect -lige

zvulicevic

Best regards
BFX I install the Office 2003 & 2007
works great (for now)
when I make a spreadsheet for ballistic calculation will put comparative results
8)

admin

PaulStafford

I have not been able to successfully install the program yet, would appreciate help. I am running XP, excel 2003.
I have installed multiple excel plug ins before, and am a VBA programmer, so not a beginner.

I created C/program files/BfX directory where the installer and the file Default2003Addinlocation excel worksheet are stored.
I have used the installer, the .xll is in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Library.
BfXXll2003 shows up and is selected in the Add Ins .

yet, the test of =bfx_help() doesn't work.

woul appreciate any help, or how to start over.

admin

if BfXXll2003 shows up then the installation was a succes. Can you check the security settings of Excel see (enabling macros)-http://www.bfxyz.nl/docs/bfxexcelsettings.shtml

PaulStafford

thanks for the idea, unfortunately did not help.
I changed security to "low", checked  "trust all installed add ins" and "trust access to VBA project"
restarted excel, no luck.

solver is installed.

am really hoping to get this to work, exactly what I want to do...any other possibilities?

admin

If you see bfxxll2003 that is realy a good sign - it should work. Security does interfer with this.

Please tell me if you see in the menu "insert" "function" bfx functions.

Please try the following: copy the xll to the desktop, remove the other one from excel, close and open excel load the desktop xll. Tell me if this work.

PaulStafford

Hi

Sigh - I do not see any of the functions for this add in (I do see many for other add ins I have installed)
I tried running BfX from the desktop after unchecking the add-in from excel and closing

I have added BfX.xll to my excluded list for malware and virus scanners.

still no luck. what could be wrong?

thinking about uninstalling and starting over...

admin

deinstall and re-install can't harm, i do it all the time when debugging. Download the last version.  I do test BfX on Excell 2003 and Win XP however. I'll try to find an old virtual machine that has no traces of all my debug activities and who did not have had a Microsoft update for ages. This might take a day or two.

PaulStafford

Hi

Sorry to be such a pest, this should be trivial, and is really frustrating.

I uninstalled everything. The add-in no longer showed up in the add-ins list in excel, and a search for *BfX* showed nothing.

I downloaded the 32 bit zip file, and expanded it into a new directory, C/program files/Bfx
I ran the installer, which put the BfX.xll file into /documents and settings/all users/desktop.
the xll file there is 474 kb

I then opened excel, and from the add-in dialog browsed to the above directory and selected the file.
the add-in correctly shows up in excel, and is checked (along with solver)

security:
in excel, both "trust all installed add ins" and "access to VB Project" boxes checked
I have added BfX.xll to the exclusions list of my malware and anti-virus programs

BUT
inserting =bfx_help() still shows the #Name? error
I also scanned the insert function list, but saw nothing remotely resembling ballistics functions

any other ideas?

admin

No idea yet. Today or tomorrow I'll come up with suggestions. The new additions to bfx have doubled its size, 400kb is indeed the new size. If you unzip the installer you have to run bfxsetup.msi. There is also setup.exe which is important because it installs run time libraries from MS. It should be run from bfxsetup automatically. Do you know if they are installed?

Robert.